Sunday, March 6, 2011

Free Range Chickens, baking bread and homemade stew

Today is beautiful 50 degrees.  It started early this morning with frost.  Sundays are the days I get the paper and donuts for the kids.  This was a tradition my dad did when I was growing up and I try hard to do it for our kids.  I only get the paper for the coupons and I know there are alot of free ways to get coupons.  I clip those online too.  But this is a little treat for the kids, so we try to do it.

After we went to the store to get the donuts and paper, my hubby and I came home to hang with the kids.  I then decided to put some stew meat in the crockpot with veggies and will either make mashed potatoes or put them in soon.  Haven't decided yet...although the kids like mashed potatoes.

After that, I hung out on the web a bit.  Then I decided homemade bread would be outstanding with the beef stew.  So I researched an easy recipe online and started it up in the bread maker.  I used to make our bread for the week every Sunday.  So I am thinking I will start this again also.


After all that, the weather was just too nice to be inside.  So I left the bread machine and crockpot to do their work.  I went outside and decided it was time to see if the chickens would free range without getting into trouble. So I let them out for an hour and it seemed to work out nicely.  So I took down the makeshift chicken yard and let them go.  Now they are foraging bugs for protien and I know in a couple weeks once they start laying my eggs will be tasty.

Our total acreage that is now fenced in is 3.85 acres.  I have 5 goats, 1 horse, 23 chickens, 3 dogs and 15 new chicks on our little farm. 


Bread just beeped, so I am off.  Have a blessed day.

No comments: