Monday, March 7, 2011

Harder than I thought...

So today was the day for our nigerian dwarf goat to go to freezer camp.  Our help arrived an hour late so that put us way behind schedule.  I want to post that there will be no pictures posted of the process.  I can put a link of how we did it on here but I did not want to take pictures.  Link will be at the bottom.

So our help came over with a 22 rifle.  We captured the goat and brought her into the back of the barn.  Ryan said his peace to her and then he left.  He is the softy here on the homestead and that is okay, I don't mind my sensitive cowboy.  After Ryan left my help and I got the goat into position and that was that. 

Ryan came back in and we used a tpost to hang the goat.  Then Ryan skinned the goat, which took a bit longer than I expected too.  After that we figured out how to get the guts out to put it nicely.  Then we began the butchering process. 

I applaude good butchers cause I have no clue how they get the good cuts they do.  We ended up with alot of roast type meat, stew meat and meat I will later grind up...once I get a grinder. Regardless, we have meat.  It will taste good however it is cooked and it will feed my family. 

The size of the goat we had, would diffinatelly not have been worth the $75 set price to butcher the goat.  I think we would really have to rethink the process if we ever choose to do it again.  That said....Im not very good at killing my own food.  I know also that it took an emotional toll on Ryan as well.  We are new to all this but a deer is very different than an animal you have had on your property for months.  We shall see how we fair with chickens.

For anyone who wants a detail and graphic description on how to butcher a goat here is a  link (GRAPHIC WARNING)

Home Butchering LINK

No comments: